Guiding Your CLIENT'S Self to Use Post-Modern Therapies

Zev

Mar 08, 2018 #1

Standard IFS teaches us to teach our client to lead his parts, and to guide him in healing his exiles. Just being with the part and showing it understanding and showing it "the big picture" very often is enough to effect change. But sometimes that is not enough.

When someone I am working with has an exile with a need to process old traumatic memories, I have found that guiding him to use narrative therapy is very useful. Most of the time just sharing the memory with self is enough, not always. One method that I will use is modified narrative therapy. In Narrative therapy, usually the therapist guides his client to tell his story, and then guides him to retell his story in the way it should have gone. In the modified IFS version, I guide his self to be the therapist for his part; to "redo" the story in the memory with that part. The part actual relives the memory it showed before, but relives the story the way it should have happened. If you are aware of the power of narrative therapy, doing it directly with the part that is stuck in that memory, guided by self, is so much more powerful.

What about when someone is working with protectors of someone currently in a difficult situation? The standard catching the part up the here and now when there is A. self and B. no more danger is only half effective. Their is still danger present, and the part cannot 'take a break' or transform into a more positive part. SFT, solution focused therapy, is where the therapist becomes the sounding board and friend of his client to work with him to find solutions. In IFS, you can guide your client to take on the therapist's SFT role from self. He can work with his protector by having a practical discussion towards finding solutions.
Last edited by Zev on 1:41 AM - Mar 08, 2018, edited 1 time in total.